Our fund raisers are:
- Candy Days – usually twice a year in November and May. We arrange with a local store to rattle collection containers outside the store giving candy away for donations.
- Day At The Races – We have celebrated our twenty sixth continuous annual Day At The Races at Tampa Bay Downs, usually held on the second Sunday in February. We sell tickets for the day which includes a three course buffet meal, door prizes and seating in the air conditioned members area for the horse racing. The third race of the day is dedicated to the Lions Club of Palm Harbor.
- Parking Cars – usually twice a year where we park cars at the First Third Bank for events in downtown Palm Harbor such as the Arts and Crafts Fair and the Parrot Head Festival.
- Pecan Sale - during the holiday season we sell bags of large plain fresh crop Georgia pecans, chocolate coated pecans, pecan caramel clusters, roasted and salted pecans. See Mascot Pecan Shelling Company http://www.mascotpecan.com/
- Unclaimed Dry Cleaning Sale – once a year in April. We collect unclaimed dry cleaning and arrange to sell these items at a local venue. Look out for notices in the local newspaper and road signs.
Our service projects are:
- Lions Vision Care Upper Pinellas County Foundation – this is a foundation supported financially by all the Lions Club in north Pinellas County. Any request for eye assistance from eye glasses to cataract surgery is referred to the board of the Lions Vision Care Upper Pinellas County. We have two members from our club on the board.
- Eyeglass collection – we have collection boxes at sites around Palm Harbor for you to deposit your old eyeglasses. These are taken to an eyeglass recycling center in Ocala, Florida where they are cleaned, inspected, graded, packaged and sent out to distribution centers for those in need of eyeglasses and unable to afford them.
- F.E.A.S.T. – we support F.E.A.S.T. (Food Pantry Food Emergency and Services Team) a community food pantry each holiday season both financially and with food supply. F.E.A.S.T. Food Pantry of Palm Harbor is a non-profit, 501-C3, nondenominational food bank serving the residents of North Pinellas County for over 25 years. Currently, F.E.A.S.T. is helping over 3200 families each month. The need is so great now, they are adding 2 -3 families a day in North Pinellas County.
- Peace Poster Contest – for many years we have sponsored the Lions Peace Poster Contest for the two middle schools in the area, Palm Harbor Middle School and Carwise Middle School. Each year, Lions clubs around the world proudly sponsor the Lions International Peace Poster Contest in local schools and youth groups. This contest encourages young people worldwide to artistically express their visions of peace. During the last 20 years, more than four million children from nearly 100 countries have participated in the contest. The theme of the 2011-12 Peace Poster Contest is "Children Know Peace." Students, ages 11, 12 or 13 on November 15, are eligible to participate.
We have a Lion member who keeps in contact with the schools; encouraging their participation; collects the paintings; arranges for them to be hung in a room at the Leepa – Rattner Museum of Art at the St. Petersburg College on the Tarpon Springs Campus, with the help of other Lions and Leos; and organizes a panel of judges to judge the entries. The winning paintings, one from each school, are sent to the District 35-I Contest. The winner from the district is then sent onto Multiple District 35 contest and that winner is sent to Lions International. The grand prize winner is then recognized at the Lions Day at the United Nations in April of each year.